Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Adventures in Parenting


My kids have been challenging lately. After two or three evenings of strong-willed and opinionated debates followed by consequences that feel like a punishment for me, too, I've daydreamed out loud about moving to Paris. Or the Middle East.

Alone.

I'm not a shouter or a spanker. I tend to look incredibly disappointed and take sh*t away from them. No electronics on television next weekend. Bed right after dinner. No dessert.

That sort of thing.

The other night, Oldest gave me a handwritten note. I smelled an apology and opened it skeptically. Boy. Was I wrong.

Dear Mom,

Remember when you said you would pay us a dollar for every time you cursed? Well, I did some math and you owe me and Youngest twenty bucks.

Love,
Oldest

So apparently, they hear me when those disappointed looks are followed by mumbles that include "goddamn it," "stop being a pain in my ass," and "this parenting gig is for shit."

Good to know.

6 Comments:

At 12/10/2008, Blogger Unknown said...

You're probably good, as long as you aren't telling them to go F*&# themselves under your breath. It's not a good sign if comes to that.

 
At 12/10/2008, Blogger John in IL said...

Give the little cocksuckers 20 bucks and turn them out on the street. Tough love, I say.

 
At 12/11/2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can't say 'my children never listen to me!

 
At 12/11/2008, Blogger Brass Bowl said...

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is the best defense.

 
At 12/11/2008, Blogger Brass Bowl said...

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is the best defense.

 
At 12/11/2008, Blogger superdave524 said...

Got to love oldest's intelligence. You want them to learn to lead and not be too deferential to idiots, but it'd be great if they'd at least listen to YOU anyway. Tough line to draw. My oldest just passed his English Comprehensive Exams at Sewanee "with distinction"; My youngest is failing 8th grade math. Oldest says "Sir" and "Maam" and will probably be an assistent principal in a small town; youngest will probably own the town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home