Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gay is the New Black


It's no secret that I have a certain amount of contempt for religion. I don't even know if I believe in God, really. It depends on the day.

Combine this contempt with my liberal sensibilities and a brain and, oh I don't know, concern for my fellow human beings and *of course* I'm not swayed by religious arguments against gay marriage.

That's why it's nice to read articles such as this.

Here is a woman with a high regard for religious institutions and traditions, mapping out arguments that thoughtful and devout believers can refer to when arguing for gay marriage.

Nice change of pace is all.

3 Comments:

At 12/14/2008, Blogger QuakerJono said...

It's a nice article, but the thing is, it's approach is wrong-headed. Regardless if the argument is pro- or con- regarding gay marriage, it shouldn't be based on religious ideals when considering public policy. While she makes some good points for a theological discussion, her fundamental assumption that religion should play any role at all in policy is flawed.

You can fight fire with fire, but you'll just end up scorching the earth.

 
At 12/15/2008, Blogger Doc said...

I'm sure many people approach the issue of faith from the standpoint of 'do I believe'... but a better approach would be 'does God believe in me?' It puts a fresh perspective on everything.

As far as fundamentalism , evangelicalism and hatred... I'm convinced there's some level of hell reserved for people who live by dogma and doctrine.

 
At 12/16/2008, Blogger superdave524 said...

Most law is based on perceptions of morality, so to make gay marriage "legal" will probably entail making it "moral". I think the article is wonderful. Thanks for posting it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home